Buća Palace occupies the western side of Flour Square. It was a large and distinguished palace of the Buća family, in all probability built at the beginning of the 14th century. Through numerous renovations that followed, the palace has lost its authentic character.
The palace belonged to the famous noble family Buća. At the beginning of the 14th century the family had three notable members: Trifun Buća, who was emissary of the Serbian King Milutin at the Papal court in Avignon and the emissary at the court of the French King Carlo de Valois. His service earned him the privilege to include a lily flower (fleur-de-lys), a symbol of the French kings, in the family’s coat-of-arms; Nikola Buća, who commanded a unit of armoured soldiers of Kotor, within the army of the Serbian Emperor Dušan, at the battle of Velbužd in 1330. Later he became “protovestijar” (minister of finance), duke of courtiers at Dušan’s court and his emissary in Venice; and Mihailo Buća (Nikola’s brother), who was the emissary of King Milutin in Dubrovnik and of Emperor Dušan in Venice, and one of the wealthiest citizens of Kotor of his time, being the owner of numerous estates and houses in the area.
The palace probably suffered great damage in the earthquake of 1667. At that period, the economic power of the Buća family was declining and they were not able to restore the whole palace. Consequently, it was divided into three parts, later reconstructed by their new owners in accordance with their taste and available finances.
The northern part has kept its original division into three floors and preserved the elements of its original construction to a great extent. Its façade displays the windows with Baroque frames, two Gothic coats-of-arms of the Buća family with lily flowers, and the ground floor portals made by the extension of the original gothic ones which used to have pointed arches. The central part was restored by the Paskvali family who added a floor to it. Its façade is decorated with doors and windows with Baroque frames and a portal which carries the coat-of-arms of the Paskvali family. The southern part known as the “Old Post Office” has been restored in a modest, 19th century architectural style.
During the latest reconstruction of the palace after the earthquake of 1979, the remains of Romanesque-Gothic windows and doors were discovered on the eastern façade that faces the square and on the western façade that faces the sea. Source: Martinović Jovan, Sto kotorskih dragulja, Rijeka Crnojevića, 1995.