|The Foundation of Mirko Komnenović|
The Foundation of Mirko Komnenović is a palace constructed at the end of the 18th century in the late Baroque style. The palace was built by seamen from the Komnenović family, the ancestors of Mirko Komnenović.
The appearance of the house was changed in the 19th century with pseudo-Baroque extensions and attached buildings. On the original door on the ground floor, it is still possible to see the names of the Russian soldiers from 1807, from the time of the Napoleonic wars, cut with bayonets.
Mirko Komnenović was born in Herceg Novi in 1870. He graduated in foreign languages at Chateau de Luceus, in Switzerland. He was a representative of Boka Kotorska in the National Parliament of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes, a mayor of Herceg Novi and a representative in the National Parliament of Yugoslavia. In his will from 1940, Mirko Komnenović bequeathed his house to the people with the wish that it be turned into a town museum and bears the inscription “MIRKO AND OLGA KOMNENOVIĆ – TO THE PEOPLE”. His wish was that the whole income of the museum should go to "help the orphans of Herceg Novi, no matter of which religion".
The National Museum of Herceg Novi was established in 1949. In 1953 it was moved to the house of Mirko Komnenović. Today the museum bears the name Regional Museum of Herceg Novi.
The Regional Museum consists of the building and a beautiful botanic garden, designed in the style of a park, with more than a hundred carefully chosen Mediterranean and subtropical plants in an area of 1000 square metres. The rich flora of the garden is composed of various plants, including numerous species of palm trees, agaves, cacti, aloes, pines, mimosas, camellias and magnolias, as well as other Mediterranean plants, creating with their various forms, beauty and diverse colours, ambience in all seasons.